Sewing Workshops: Using Your Own Fabrics
This is a new initiative to help make our sewing workshops more affordable for you. As inflation hits us worldwide, we have no choice but to adjust our fees to cover increased costs of materials, utility bills, manpower and more. As much as we'll like to provide a convenient workshop experience by preparing and pre-cutting all your materials, the preparation takes up a lot of time and costs. Without having to compromise the learning experience in the workshop, we now offer the cost-saving option of you bringing and preparing your own cut fabrics. Below are the commonly asked questions about this option.
1. What do I have to prepare on my own if I opt to use my own fabric?
You only have to buy and cut the exterior and lining fabrics; and its corresponding polyester sewing thread colours based on the given amount and pattern required for your workshop. We'll provide you instructions, measurements, digital or paper patterns if applicable, recommended types of fabrics and local fabric shops we frequent. It is advisable to buy an extra half metre or yard in case you make any cutting mistakes.
2. How do I know how to cut my purchased fabrics for the workshop I registered for?
We would recommend this option only for crafters who have some basic knowledge of fabric types, fabric cutting and pattern matching (print direction, print alignment e.g. stripes or borders). Upon payment for your workshop, we will send you the pattern and PDF sewing instructions for you to purchase and cut your own fabric. Our patterns come in 3 different types:
- Digital patterns: They will be emailed to you. You will need to print them in 100% size and piece them together for your cutting purposes.
- Paper patterns: They will be mailed to you. You can use them directly for cutting purposes.
- Projects with cutting measurements but not patterns: You usually just cut square or rectangular blocks of fabrics based on the given, written measurements e.g. 30cmW by 10cmH.
3. What kind of assistance will I get in the preparation process leading up to my workshop?
Firstly, there should be at least a lead time of 3 weeks prior to your workshop before you select this option. A summary of the preparation process is as such:
- After making payment for workshop based on "Your Own Fabric": Receive instructions
- 3 weeks before your workshop: Begin selecting and purchasing your fabric and its colour-matching polyester sewing thread(s)
- 2 weeks before your workshop: We'll check in with you to ensure that the correct fabrics and thread(s) were purchased. You also have to select the accessories if applicable (e.g. zips, straps) based on your fabric choice. We will prepare them for your class; colours or designs are while stocks last.
- 1 week before your workshop: You should start preparing and cutting your own fabrics based on the instructions and pattern which have been emailed or mailed to you by now. You can WhatsApp us if you need any quick clarifications during this stage.
- Actual day of workshop: Arrive 10 minutes before the class so that we can do one last check on your cut exterior and lining fabrics, and wind bobbins for your threads.
Lastly, please avoid waterproof materials unless it is specified for the project. Most waterproof materials are harder to work with e.g. cannot iron, cannot pin, require special footers and unpicking will leave permanent holes in the fabric (which will definitely happen during your first try of any project).
We also recommend that you use matching and not contrasting colour threads. Contrasting colour threads will make any uneven stitching more obvious, especially on home sewing machines.