Sewing Workshop FAQs
1. Where can I find your workshop schedule?
We don’t have a fixed schedule as we conduct workshops upon request. You can join an existing workshop (See our Events Calendar) or we can set up a new class for you at your preferred time slots (for projects that currently don’t have much existing classes). Workshops will proceed with 1 to 3 participants. WhatsApp us at +65 96310475 (Jasmine) to book a workshop today.
Workshops take place from Tue to Fri, 9am - 6pm. Usually, a 4-hour workshop can be arranged from 9am - 1pm or 2pm - 6pm. Registration closes 7 working days before the workshop date so that we can prepare your materials. Do also take note of our new workshop etiquette here: https://bit.ly/workshopetiquette.
2. Where is the workshop held at?
We're a home-based craft studio and we reside along Edgedale Plains, Punggol. It can be accessed easily by private and public transport. The exact address will be given after you have made payment for your workshop. It is cosy, air-conditioned with light music for your crafting enjoyment. Everything is provided for unless you prefer and wish to bring your own crafting tools and/or sewing machine. You have access to drinking water, washroom, our fridge and microwave.
We do have two tiny, friendly Shihtzu dogs at home. If you're afraid of dogs or can't be near dogs (Muslim students), let us know in advance and we can fence them away from the workshop area. We will also take photos of the workshop, participants and final finished projects for marketing and archival purposes. We'll send them to you after the workshop for your keepsake too. Should you prefer privacy and your face to not be in the photos (only backview and project shots), we respect that so please inform us before the workshop.
3. Where can I find your available projects and fees for workshops?
You can look through our entire list of sewing workshops on our website and filter the selection by project level and type (E.g. beginner, pouch). Or you can just chat with us on WhatsApp at +65 96310475 for project recommendations suitable for your crafting level. Some designs and fabrics from years ago might not be available but we will recommend similar projects or new available fabrics. Fees are determined by materials, workshop duration and fabric choice. Fees includes the use of sewing machines, tools and pre-cut materials. You will also receive sewing instructions, measurements and/or paper pattern for your use after the workshop.
4. How do I know what level of projects am I suitable for?
We have categorised our craft projects broadly into 5 levels.
Beginner: You have never done sewing or even used a sewing machine before.
Confident Beginner: You have learnt how to use a sewing machine before (even years ago in Home Economics) but need a refresher. Or you just learn the basics of machine sewing and will like to learn more. Note: However, if you have chosen to do a zipper project, you should have been sewing recently and not many years ago.
Intermediate: You can operate a sewing machine independently, fast and well. You should have been sewing recently and not many years ago. You will like to learn to work more professionally with interfacing or batting. Projects from this level onwards also build your crafting stamina as more details also means longer duration.
Confident Intermediate: You have worked with both interfacing and batting in your projects before.You should have been sewing regularly and recently, and not many years ago. You also can handle bulk during sewing. Now you want to challenge yourself with more complex projects requiring precision, curves, snips, pockets, bias binding and more.
- Advanced: If it isn’t challenging, you don’t enjoy it. Welcome to projects—which can be a battle with your machine—yet so satisfying and rewarding to complete. You should have been sewing regularly and recently, and not many years ago.
5. Where can I choose fabrics or materials for my project?
For sewing, each student will get a maximum of 5 fabric choices based on their indicated preferred colours, prints and cartoon/non-cartoon. Our fabrics are broadly divided into two categories:
- Japanese Character fabrics (more expensive, original Japanese cartoon prints e.g. Hello Kitty, Sanrio Characters, Doraemon, Peko-Chan etc.)
- Japanese or printed-in-Japan fabrics (all other non-cartoon prints from textile brands like Kokka, Kobayashi, Cotton and Steel etc.)
Some projects have standard coloured accessories, while others allow you to pick the colour of your zip, strap or buttons. Once you have picked your print fabric, we can help recommend a suitable combination.
6. Can I bring my own materials?
All of our workshop materials are specially curated, prepared and/or pre-cut in advance to suit the project and also save time in our workshops. This allows you to fully concentrate on crafting the project.
But if you prefer to use, cut and bring your own fabrics, we do offer this option. We would recommend this option only for crafters who have some basic knowledge of fabric types, fabric cutting and pattern matching (print direction, print alignment e.g. stripes or borders). Read here for more details.
7. Can I customise the design of my project and to what extent?
Extensive drafting and testing of the pattern is required for each workshop to ensure a pleasant learning experience and end product. Any major changes involving sizes or even design features of our bags or pouches would not be possible without prior, careful testing. We will keep in mind your valuable feedback and request, and try to include them in future workshops. In the meantime, we sincerely hope that you enjoy the workshops and patterns that we have spent a lot of time and effort in creating.
8. I have something that I always want to learn. Can you teach me how to do it?
Basically we teach sewing and craft projects that we worked on or designed, are passionate about and most importantly put in effort to practise. Firstly, we might not be an expert in that area yet. Secondly, too much customisation will also make it hard to create a workshop module that can be replicated and benefit other crafters. We seek your understanding on this. Nevertheless let us know your wish list and we will keep them in mind for our future projects.
9. Can I bring my partner or kids to the workshop?
You can bring a friend or partner only if they are also registered participants of the workshop. However, if they are just here to accompany you, that is not allowed. Being a home studio, we have limited space. We seek your kind understanding to make separate arrangements for them so that you too can be free to enjoy the workshop.
Our workshops are also more suited for independent, adult learning than for children. They are welcomed to join us but must be able to handle hot irons, sharp scissors, pins and needles in a responsible and safe manner under our guidance.
10. I want to sign up for a workshop. What do I do next?
If you’re keen to sign up, please register with us via WhatsApp +65 96310475 (preferred) or via our website. Prior to any form of payment, it is best for your o secure your workshop date, materials and more. We do not have these selection functions on our website yet so we ask for your understanding on this. For local crafters, payment via PayLah and PayNow is preferred. For overseas crafters, we can arrange for you to make payment via PayPal or major credit cards.
If you have signed up on our website first--don't worry. We'll get in touch with you via WhatsApp in 1 - 3 working days to:
- Select the next available date and time for your workshop (New or existing session)
- Choose your fabrics, accessories, yarn colour, materials or more (Whatever is applicable for the project)
- Process additional charges if you request for additional items in your workshop e.g. extra accessories to bring home, more expensive fabric choice etc.
11. Can I postpone, cancel or refund my workshop after I registered for it?
Once payment is made for a workshop, it is not refundable, exchangeable or transferable. It will be your responsibility to check your own schedule and ensure you are free to attend the workshop on the specified date. A lot of planning and coordination goes into setting up a workshop so we strongly discourage students to reschedule or postpone their classes. We would have also turned away other keen crafters when we accepted your workshop registration. If you still have to reschedule or postpone your classes for any personal, family, work, school or other matters, please note the following penalty fees that you will incur:
- 30 days or more before class date: one-time free rescheduling of class
- 15 - 29 days before class date/2nd rescheduling of 30 days or more before class date: 30% of workshop fee
- 8 - 14 days before class date: 50% of workshop fee
- 0 - 7 days before class date: 100% of workshop fee
- No show on day of workshop: Workshop fee is fully forfeited
We will only provide a make up class at no charge for the following unforeseen circumstances:
- If we have to postpone classes due to any change in the circuit breaker measures
- If you’re not well and produce a valid medical certificate
- If you’ve been exposed to the Covid-19 virus and produce valid Health Risk Warnings, Trace Together records or ART/PCR Covid-19 test results
- If you have to deal with a sudden family or medical emergency or crisis; and produce valid proof of it (subjected to our approval)
12. Can I change my mind about the project, fabric, design and materials I have chosen?
Designs, fabrics and/or embroideries cannot be changed once selected, paid for and prepared.
13. What if I am late for the workshop?
We will start on time so please arrive punctually 5 minutes before the workshop to check in and settle down. Please be punctual for your workshop as there might be another workshop after your session—in which we won’t be able to extend the session, should you not be able to finish in time.
14. What if I cannot complete the project in the given duration?
If you overrun the given duration expected of the crafting level for your workshop, additional hourly charges will apply. You can choose to complete the project at home on your own, or extend the workshop duration with applicable hourly charges (also depending on our availability). As much as possible, we hope to avoid imposing additional charges and complete the whole project with you. Therefore, we ask that you better manage your time and pace in the workshop. Students new to Applelulu Crafts might need some time to adjust to our workshops, so you'll enjoy an additional 30 minute grace period in your first workshop. We are very understanding folks! :)
15. If my workshop has a meal break, where can I get food?
Usually workshops that are of 6 hours or longer will have a 30-min break. We usually order food delivery as a class and share the delivery costs. You can bring your own food too if you have dietary concerns or needs. We have a fridge and a microwave for your use, if necessary.
If you have more questions or will like to chat in detail with us, please drop us a WhatsApp message at +6596310475 (Jasmine).